Subject: Creating strings
From: Mark Kuzmycz <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 09:52:42 --1000

Hello fellow Blizers,

I am currently creating a text editor for an Amiga guide generator. So far
I have the basic text editor built. The problem is that when I load a one
thousand line text file it takes 3 to 5 minutes on an Amiga 500. I currently
use an edit(1024) to read a line in at a time. As you can see this time is 
unacceptable so I experimented to see how quickly I could count the number 
of lines (load the file in the buffer and search for asc 10) and found I 
could do this in less than one second. 

Since I can determine where each line end I would like to know how to create
a string that is compatable with blitz strings. For example I know
that the first workd of a Blitz string is the size and that the last Character
is a null character. What I don't know is how do I place a string in a string
variable? Do I need to allocate memory or are all strings allocated to the
max string size (I don't think so). Also, is there a way to access the internal
sting buffer as this could speed up the creation of a string.

Thanks For your help

Mark.